Journey back to London

sledging in Zurich

Having decided to spend Christmas in London we planned to set out from San Giorgio on Saturday the 18th. However, as the weather forecast predicted snow all day Saturday we decided to go on Friday. We were taking Anne from Mondavio to her family in Zurich. This part of the journey went well. We left Mondavio, with Anne in the back, at 8.00 and had good driving weather until we exited the Goddart Tunnel. It had been snowing for some time and the roads were covered in snow and I began to wonder where the Swiss had got their reputations for keeping roads opened. However, by going slow and steady we managed to navigate the roads and about 6.30 we arrived at Sara and Rod’s i.e. Anne’s family. We had originally planned to stay one night with them just outside Zurich but decided to accept the hospitality offered and stay two nights. So had all day Saturday in Zurich. In the morning we went into the centre of Zurich and had a lovely morning looking around. In the afternoon we went sledging with Rod and the two boys Alexander and James. While Alexander and James threw themselves down the slopes with great abandon we took a more sedate approach to the edge but once started there was no stopping us. It was all great fun and after about an hour we headed home cold, damp and happy.

The following morning we left Zurich about 8 o’clock with the hope of being in Calais by 4.00. The main roads in Switzerland were now clear of snow and good progress was made. However, on reaching Colmar in France things began to change. While never in any danger of having to stop because of the weather the  driving conditions were terrible with the motorway at times going down to one lane with only the constant use of snow ploughs keeping the traffic going. The conditions were so bad that lorries were prohibited from using the motorways and this made life a lot easier for cars. We finally reached Calais about 7.30 in the evening and got onto a train  at 8.30. On the English sides the  roads were in good condition and we made it to London for 10.30.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.